HOW TO APPLY TO THE COMBINED FAMILY MEDICINE & PSYCHIATRY RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Just like our sister programs in Family Medicine and Psychiatry at UCSD, the Combined Program accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Please apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The following materials must be submitted through ERAS, and your application will not be reviewed as “complete” until all items have been received:
1. Your completed “Universal Application”
2. Your personal statement
3. Your Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE) aka “Dean's Letter”
4. Your medical school transcript
5. Three letters of recommendation from medical school faculty who have worked with you
6. A copy of your USMLE scores (parts I & II must be passed before residency begins). For COMLEX info - see below
7. A wallet-size photo of yourself
For Applicants from Osteopathic Schools: We are often asked whether we accept the COMLEX in lieu of the USMLE. We absolutely do, providing the scores on each step are greater than 500. If not, USMLE Steps I and II scores are also required. We are also asked if we have had DO students in the program. We have; see Dr. Julie Le in our alumni section...
For Applicants from foreign medical schools: In addition to the above materials, you must also include:
- ECFMG Certification
- The California Letter
- Permanent Resident Status (or J-1 Visa, UCSD does not sponsor the J-1 Visa)
We hope that you enjoy your residency search and travels, and we hope to meet you during the interview season!